Here at the magazine we are pleased to name the Best Of 2013 winners; the year’s standouts in residential architecture, interior design, homewares, art, furniture, technology, motoring and design-focused places and makers.
We celebrated our 13 outstanding Best Of category winners with champagne and stunning small eats at The French Kitchen (named Urbis’ Best Eatery of 2013) in Auckland on 4 December 2013 (view the photo gallery here). The French Kitchen owners Simon Wright and Creghan Molloy Wright were wonderful hosts and the venue, designed by Katie Lockhart, the perfect setting.
Urbis’ Best of 2013 winners are:
- Best Destination: The Oyster Inn, Waiheke Island, designed by Katie Lockhart.
- Best Homewares: Eclectic by Tom Dixon Range at Simon James Concept Store and ECC Lighting & Furniture
- Best Lighting: Tri Pendant by Resident Studio at Simon James Design.
- Best Artwork: Majoribanks Street and Rata Road by Karl Maughan (represented by Gow Langsford Gallery in Auckland).
- Best Eatery: The French Kitchen, designed by Katie Lockhart.
- Best Object: Lladró Naturofantastic Vase at Design55
- Best House: Takapuna Beach House by Athfield Architects
- Best Maker: Emma Hayes, accessories and textiles designer.
- Best Car: Porsche Cayman S.
- Best Technology: LG Curved OLED Television.
- Best Furniture: Foliage Armchair by Patricia Urquiola at Backhouse Interiors
- Best Civic: Point Resolution Bridge by Warren & Mahoney.
- Best Public Space: City Works Depot by Cheshire Architects.
The Best of 2013 selection coincides with the release of the latest issue of Urbis (issue #77), on sale now. Each of the category winners is profiled in the pages of the magazine. Pick up a copy from any good retail store or supermarket, or get the digital version here.