Affectionately known as ‘Brissy’, Brisbane’s golden weather and beach vibes are an attractive proposition, but there’s also plenty going on in this city when it comes to cultural offerings.
For an art-filled morning or afternoon, there’s the beautiful Queensland Art Gallery (QAG) and alongside it, looking across the river from the city centre, the Gallery of Modern Art (GOMA). The GOMA’s current exhibition of Spanish paintings from the Prado Gallery in Madrid is an Urbis highlight. Along from the arts precinct, you’ll find Little Stanley St where there’s a string of good restaurants including a local French-inspired favourite, Piaf. Here, and along Grey Street, chic dining spots are interspersed with a tempting selection of fashion boutiques.
Fortitude Valley is another popular fashion hub and home to the tiny boutique Soot (featured in Urbis issue 70). There’s also much to experience when it comes to cool eateries and night spots. For something a bit swankier, head to Emporium in Fortitude Valley, a new upmarket shopping and entertainment area. Urbis recommends Tartufo for delicious Italian food if you’re after a bite to eat and if you happen to be staying at Emporium hotel or nearby, try Belle Époque Patisserie for a French style breakfast of coffee and pastries.
- Gallery of Modern Art. South Bank - qagoma.qld.gov.au
- State Library of Queensland. South Bank - slq.qld.gov.au
EAT & DRINK.
- Queensland Gallery Café. South Bank - qagoma.qld.gov.au
- Piaf. South Bank - piafbistro.com.au
- Ortiga. Fortitude Valley - ortiga.com.au
- Sake. Eagle St. Pier - sakerestaurant.com.au
- Tartufo. Fortitude Valley - tartufo.com.au
- Belle Époque Patisserie. Fortitude Valley - belleepoque.com.au
- Alchemy. Eagle St - alchemyrestaurant.com.au
- Libertine Parfumerie. West End - libertineparfumerie.com.au
- Soot. Fortitude Valley - soot.com.au
- Kisses. Fortitude Valley - jamesst.com.au